Over the night, social media has seen videos suggesting that the maternity block at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital was on fire.
Most of the videos, taken at night, showed nurses pushing babies from one place to the other.
However, the hospital has released a statement saying that the maternity block was not on fire.
It explained that “an air-conditioner switch in one of the restroom of the doctors started emitting smoke which was detected by staff on duty at around 9pm yesterday.”
“The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service(GNFS),” it added.
About the babies being moved as seen in the video, the hospital explained that “as a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.”
“We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that, there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff,” the hospital said.
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you