The National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NaCCA) acting on behalf of the Ministry of Education is making changes to the educational system.
According to reports, BECE and WASSCE as we know them will be no more.
Kindergarten, primary school, JHS and SHS shall all be described as basic school. JHS 1, 2, 3 and SHS 1 shall now be referred to as BS 7,8,9 and 10 respectively i. e. SHS 1 shall now be called BS 10.
- All students in JHS 1 – SHS 1 shall run a Common Core Programme called CCP which comprises of 9 subjects; namely – Maths, Languages, Science, RME (stand-alone subject), Physical and Health Education (not examinable), Career Technology, Social Studies, Computing and Creative Art and Design.
- A new examination called National Standard Assessment Test (NSAT) shall be conducted at Primary 2, 4, 6 and JHS 2.
- BECE shall be replaced by placement exams at JHS 3 to enrol students into SHS 1.
- Students in SHS 1 shall continue to run the common core programme for one year thus students into SHS 1 shall not select science, business or arts programmes.
- At the end of SHS 1, Students shall write a Common Core Exams into SHS 2.
- At SHS 2, students will now have to select either a career-related programme which include, vocational and technical programmes or a high school Diploma programmes such as science, business, arts.
- This means Elective subjects shall start in SHS 2. Wassce will be replaced by a university entrance exams at SHS 3.
- Students after successful completion of SHS 3 will be rewarded a Diploma Certificate instead of WASSCE certificate.
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you