Dr Kwame Nkrumah is regarded, by many Ghanaians, as the best President Ghana has ever had.
He was Ghana’s leader from 1957 until 1996 – when his government was overthrown by a coup d’état while he was on a trip to Beijing, China.
Ghana experienced a lot of developmental projects in all sectors during his time as President.
A lot of the projects that were done under his leadership are still some of the best in the country, and no leader that came after him has done as much as he did.
As we celebrate Dr Kwame Nkrumah on his birthday, we have put together a list of all his achievements as President of Ghana.
Senior High Schools:
Under the Ghana Education Trust policy, Dr Kwame Nkrumah built a number of Senior Secondary (High) Schools including Mfantsiman Girls’ Secondary School, Ghana National College of Cape Coast, Ofori Panyin Secondary School, Techiman Secondary School, Winneba Secondary School, Swedru Secondary School, Apam Secondary School, Dormaa Secondary School, Tema Secondary School, Oda Secondary School, and the Labone Secondary School.
Colleges of Education:
Dr Kwame Nkrumah also built Colleges of Education including Kwadaso College of Education, Atebubu Training College, Berekum Training College, Fosu Training College and the Enchi Training College.
Universities and Technical Institutes:
Dr Kwame Nkrumah, during his presidency, made the University of Ghana (then University College of Gold Coast affiliated to the University of London) a full-fledged university to award its own degrees and became their first chancellor.
He also built the University of Cape Coast (UCC), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Institute of African Studies, Kwame Nkrumah Institute of Economics and Political Science (now south campus of UEW), Ajumako School of Languages (now under UEW), Kumasi Technical Institute (now a University) and Accra Polytechnic (now Accra Technical University).
- Dr Kwame Nkrumah built the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (previously Kumasi central hospital).
- He made Korle Bu a teaching hospital and expanded its capacity by constructing the Medical, Maternity, Surgical and Child Health blocks.
- He established the Ghana Medical School.
- He made Medical care free to all citizens.
- He established GIHOC pharmaceuticals.
- He also built several hospitals and clinics.
Factories and Industries
Dr Kwame Nkrumah built the following factories and industries. Most of them are no more in operation.
- Abosso Glass Factory
- Zuarungu Meat Factory
- Wenchi Tomato Factory
- Kade Match Factory
- Akosombo Textiles Limited
- Kumasi Shoe Factory
- Pwalugu Tomato Factory
- Asutuare Sugar Factory
- Komenda Sugar Factory
- Kumasi Jute Factory
- Nsawam Cannery, Brick and Tile Factory
- Tarkwa Bonsa Tyre Factory
- Bolgatanga Meat Processing Factory
- Bolgatanga Rice Mill Factory
- GIHOC Fibre Products Company, etc.
State Owned Enterprises and Companies
Dr Kwame Nkrumah built the following state companies. Some of them are no more in operation.
- Ghana Black Star Line with almost 15 ships
- Bank of Ghana (BoG)
- Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB)
- Agricultural Development Bank (ADB)
- National Investment Bank (NIB)
- State Insurance Company (SIC)
- Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT)
- Ghana Oil Company (GOIL)
- Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GHAPOHA)
- Tema Oil Refinery (TOR)
- The National Management and Productivity Institute
- Ghana Film Industries, Accra
- Ghana Airways Corporation
- Ghana National Trading Corporation
- Cocoa Marketing Board (COCOBOD)
- Tema Steel Works
State Housing and Hotel Projects
Most of the hotels are now owned by private organisations.
- Accra: Labone Estate, Kanda Estates, Osu Ringway Estates, Airport Residential Area.
- Kumasi: Patasi Estate, Kwadaso Estate, Buokrom Estates, North and South Suntreso.
- Tema Township (Communities)
- State Hotels: Star, Meridian, Ambassador, Continental now Golden Tulip Accra, Atlantic, City Hotel Catering Rest Houses now Golden Tulip Kumasi, Peduase Lodge.
Other key projects
- Ghana Museums
- Ghana Film Corporation
- Ghana News Agency
- Ghana Broadcasting Corporation
- Atomic Reactor Station
- Akosombo Dam
- Restructured the British Military base into Accra (now Kotoka) International Airport.
- Tema Motorway
- Tema Harbour
- Adomi Bridge
- State Farms and Institutes
List of projects sourced from Nkrumaists (Kwame Nkrumah Ideological Institute).
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you