Barcelona and Spain legend Xavi has announced he has tested positive for coronavirus.
The 40-year-old, currently manager of Qatar Stars League side Al Sadd, said on Instagram that he wasn’t experiencing symptoms but will self-isolate until he has recovered.
Al Sadd are scheduled to play Al Khor on Saturday, July 25, 2020, with the Qatari top division returning after four months of Covid-19 suspension.
Xavi said: “Today I will not be able to accompany my team in the return to official competition.”
“David Prats, reserve coach, will take my place as head of the technical team. “
“A few days ago, following the QSL protocol, I tested positive in my most recent COVID-19 test.”
“Luckily, I feel perfectly fine, but following the protocol, I will remain isolated until I have overcome it.”
“When the medical authorities allow me, I will return to my daily routine and work more eagerly than ever,” he said.
Xavi has been in charge of Al Sadd since May 2019, leading them to the semi-finals of last year’s AFC Champions League.
He had previously spent the final four years of his playing career at the club. He joined in 2015, leaving Barcelona after their stunning treble-winning season in 2014-15.
Xavi signed a one-year contract extension earlier in July but he is still widely expected to take over as Barca manager at some point in the future.
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you