Coronavirus: Here’s How To Extend Your USA Visa

US Visa

You took a short trip to the United States of America, then the coronavirus pandemic hit.

Just before you could hop on a flight and run back home, the Government of Ghana also closed its borders.

Now, you are stuck in America and your visa is running out or it has already expired and you’re now technically an illegal migrant in Donald Trump’s USA.

Well, the Embassy of Ghana in the United States has announced that the United States government has made it possible for you to extend the validity of your visa.

“Ghanaians who need extensions can apply by filing Form I-539 by mail together with Form I-912 to request for a fee waiver,” the Ghana Embassy in the US said. 

Instructions on where to file for an extension can be found at

Applicants must include an explanation of why they are unable to leave the U.S. along with any other relevant documents. 

If your visa is close to the expiration date, then you are advised to call USCIS Customer Service for further instructions. Please have your I-94 Departure record number available at the time of the call. This is the form stapled in your passport at the time of entry into the country. 

Further information on special situations and extending visas can be found here and here.

Ghanaians who find themselves in this situation are encouraged to notify the Embassy via email [email protected] if they have not already done so.

Please follow the above instructions and don’t become an illegal migrant in the US.


Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here