Ashesi was ranked first in Ghana, ninth in Africa, and among the world’s top 400, in the 2020 Global Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Rankings.
The Impact Rankings measure the actions taken by higher education institutions to realise the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) around the world, and contributions to the world’s economic and social well-being. Other Ghanaian universities accepted to the 2020 rankings list, were the University of Ghana and the University of Professional Studies, Accra.
Ashesi moved up in the rankings, despite an additional 299 universities joining the list, breaking into Africa’s top 10 (from 2019’s joint ranking of 14th place with the University of Ghana and the University of Professional Studies, Accra), and ranked within the top 400 universities on the list of 766 universities from 85 countries.
Ashesi’s overall ranking was driven by contributions to:
- SDG 1 – No Poverty
- SDG 5 – Gender Equality
- SDG 6 – Clean Water & Sanitation
- SDG 7 – Affordable & Clean Energy
- SDG 17 – Partnerships for the goals.
The University received especially strong commendation in the areas of:
- Providing scholarships
- Engagement in anti-poverty projects by the University community
- The establishment of lifelong learning measures
- Providing opportunities to first-generation students
- The percentage of senior academics who are women
- Percentage of women within the student community, and measures to help them succeed.
- Measures in place to increase access for all students
- Water reuse strategies and systems
- Efficiency of energy use on campus, and community activities around energy
- Measures put in place to reduce discrimination
- Education for the Sustainable Development Goals
source: Ashesi University
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you