President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo in his 7th address to the nation on the coronavirus situation in Ghana, on Sunday, April 20, 2020, lifted the 3-week old partial lockdown on Accra, Tema, Kasoa and Kumasi.
This new directive from the president took effect from Monday, April 20, 2020, at 1 am.
“…I have taken the decision to lift the three (3) week old restriction on movements in the Greater Accra Metropolitan Area and Kasoa, and the Greater Kumasi Metropolitan Area and its contiguous districts, with effect from 1 am on Monday, 20th April,” the President said.
The President’s decision to lift the partial lockdown was met with mixed reactions from Ghanaians.
However, President Akufo-Addo in his address gave seven good reasons why he decided to lift the partial lockdown.
Here are the reasons President Akufo-Addo gave for lifting the partial lockdown on Accra, Tema, Kasoa and Kumasi:
- Our ability to undertake aggressive contact tracing of infected persons,
2. The enhancement of our capacity to test,
3. The expansion in the numbers of our treatment and isolation centres,
4. Our better understanding of the dynamism of the virus,
5. The ramping up of our domestic capacity to produce our own personal protective equipment, sanitisers and medicines,
6. The modest successes chalked at containing the spread of the virus in Accra and Kumasi, and
7. The severe impact on the poor and vulnerable.
The President, however, warned that “lifting these restrictions does not mean we are letting our guard down.”
“All other measures are still firmly in place. For the avoidance of doubt, the earlier measures announced on Wednesday, 15th March, which have been extended, are still very much in force, and have not been relaxed. I am demanding even greater adherence to these measures,” he added.
- Ghana Records 1,042 Coronavirus Cases
- Ghana To Support African Coronavirus Vaccine Research
- President Akufo Addo Extends The Closure Of Ghana’s Borders
- These Are The Coronavirus Hotspot Areas In Accra And Eastern Region
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you