Man Dies After Taking Chloroquine To Prevent Coronavirus Infection

photo: Shutterstock

A man has died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate — believing it would protect him from becoming infected with the coronavirus. The man’s wife also ingested the substance and is in critical care.

The toxic ingredient the Arizona couple consumed was not the medication form of chloroquine, used to treat malaria in humans. Instead, it was an ingredient listed on a parasite treatment for fish.

The man’s wife said she had watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine. Even though no drugs are approved to prevent or treat COVID-19, some early research suggests it may be useful as a therapy.

The couple — both in their 60s and potentially at higher risk for complications of the virus — decided to mix a small amount of the substance [chloroquine] with a liquid and drink it as a way to prevent the coronavirus.

Within 20 minutes, both became extremely ill, at first feeling “dizzy and hot.”

“I started vomiting and my husband started developing respiratory problems and wanted to hold my hand,” the woman said.

She called 911. The emergency responders “were asking a lot of questions” about what they’d consumed. “I was having a hard time talking, falling down.”

Shortly after he arrived at the hospital, her husband died.

See Also: NAM1 Advises Gov’t To Use Artificial Intelligence To Fight Coronavirus

source: NBC News

Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here