Despite the ever-growing concerns over the spread of coronavirus across the United States, Coachella was still expected to go on as planned next month. However, that could change as the county where the event is being held reported its first case of the virus, TMZ reports.
Riverside County public health officer Dr. Cameron Kaiser announced on Sunday that someone is being considered a “presumptive positive for coronavirus,” and will be quarantined at the Eisenhower Medical Center, which is only 25 minutes away from the site of the festival in Indio, California.
Dr. Kaiser told the Los Angeles Times on Friday that he could impose a ban on social gatherings, which would theoretically impact Coachella. “If we do make an emergency declaration based on changes in local conditions, as a public health officer I do have the ability to shut down such large gatherings,” he said. “We would do so with as much lead time as possible.”
Last week, SXSW was cancelled after a string of high-profile companies, like Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Netflix, and Twitter, pulled out of the event amid concerns of a possible coronavirus outbreak. They are now “exploring options to reschedule.”
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you