Coronavirus: Two Passengers From Virus-Hit Cruise Ship Die

0
194
Passengers wear masks to prevent an outbreak of a new coronavirus in a subway station, in Hong Kong, Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020. The first case of coronavirus in Macao was confirmed on Wednesday, according to state broadcaster CCTV. The infected person, a 52-year-old woman, was a traveller from Wuhan. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)
Listen to an Audio Version of the Article

Two Japanese passengers who contracted the Covid-19 virus onboard a cruise ship quarantined in Japan have died.

One passenger died from Covid-19, while the other died from pneumonia, said local reports. Both were in their 80s and had underlying health conditions.

They were being treated in hospitals after being taken off the Diamond Princess last week.

At least 621 people on the ship tested positive for the virus, the biggest cluster outside China.

Japan’s health minister said both passengers had been sent to medical facilities after showing symptoms.

“I believe they received the best possible treatment”, Katsunobu Kato added.

The Diamond Princess was carrying 3,700 people in total and passengers who tested negative for the virus began leaving the ship on Wednesday after a 14-day quarantine.

Hundreds have now disembarked from the cruise. Others are set to leave over the next two days.

More than 150 Australian passengers have already arrived in Darwin, where they will begin two weeks of quarantine.

The first batch of people from Hong Kong have also flown back to the city, where they will similarly be quarantined.

UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the 74 Britons on board the ship would be flown home on Friday. Indonesia is also set to repatriate its citizens.

But there are fears and criticism over Japan’s handling of the quarantine on the Diamond Princess.

Japanese health expert Kentaro Iwata, professor at the infectious diseases division of Kobe University, visited the Diamond Princess and said the situation on board was “completely chaotic”.

“The cruise ship was completely inadequate in terms of infection control,” he said in a widely shared YouTube video which he has since taken offline.

US officials have also said moves to contain the virus “may not have been sufficient”.

But on Thursday, Mr Kato responded to Mr Iwata’s criticism, saying authorities had worked hard to deal with a very complicated situation.

“We’ve been doing our best in the circumstances,” Mr Kato told Japanese lawmakers.

“Not only our officials at the health ministry but also Self-Defence Forces officials and medical officials are working desperately hard.

“We have specialists of infectious diseases [on the ship], and we get feedback from them about our operation every day, including dividing [the areas inside the ship].”

The health minister stressed that the cruise ship was “not a well-established place such as a hospital”, and that the authorities “kept correcting” various problems on a daily basis.

“We have to examine and learn from this case because we think this is a global issue,” Mr Kato said.

Source: BBC

Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here