Popular Ghanaian screenwriter and entertainment journalist, Anthony Osarfo, who entered his horror screenplay titled ‘Honor Janet’ to the Los Angeles Motion Picture Festival/ International Film Awards, has had the screenplay adjudged the Grand Jury Prize (GOLD AWARD) for ‘Best Feature Screenplay.’
After reading thousands of submissions from across the globe, the jury, in their shrewd verdict based on visual writing skill, story, premise, character development, conflict, plotting, story structure, and tone, felt Osarfo’s script met the mark and was also unique among the lot.
“It’s a big deal and a windfall of joy to start 2020 with this news. Thank you, Los Angeles, Motion Picture Festival/ International Film Awards. I wish you all well, wish me well, too. Namaste.” – are Osarfo’s brief comments to his win.
According to Osarfo, the inspiration behind the story and the title came from the life stories and first name of his mother, wife, and mother-in-law. “They are all called Janet. I decided to honour them with my talent as a storyteller, hence, ‘Honor Janet’ he said.
It’s his wish to have an agent or manager representation to shop the script to studios for option or purchase. He also said he has plans of adapting the screenplay into a horror novel/book. “I have plans of adapting it into a novel. Sincerely, I’ve never written one before so I’m still searching for a novelist to co-write it” he added.
Osarfo has an impressive career spanning more than a decade in art, culture, tourism, and entertainment writing. As a promising horror-thriller screenwriter, he has amassed a number of screenwriting awards:
• WINNER, Best Original Screenplay — Hollywood Blood Horror Festival (December 8, 2019)
• FINALIST — 13Horror.com Screenplay Contest (December 16, 2019)
• FINALIST, Honorable Mention — Creepy Tree Film Festival (November 30, 2019)
• HONOURABLE MENTION — Barnstorm Film+TV Script Fest (December 31, 2019)
• BEST INT’L SCREENPLAY NOMINEE — Oregon Scream Week Horror Film Festival (November 8, 2019)
• AWARDEE, Top 100 Hot Scripts — Capital Fund Screenplay Competition (July 1, 2019).
As he continues to make himself and Ghana proud, Osarfo has been featured on esteemed mediums such as New York Glamor Magazine, Medium.com, and scriptsummit.com.
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you.