Ghanaian SHS teacher, Ms Augusta Lartey-Young has been named among the top three winners of the 2019 African Union Continental Teacher Awards.
The other two winners of the award are Sister Gladyce Kachope (Uganda) and Mr Eric Ademba (Kenya).
This was the first edition of the AU Teacher Prize which has been established as a means for demonstrating respect for teachers and the teaching profession, by encouraging and celebrating the committed teachers in Africa.
The top three teachers were each awarded with cash prizes of $10,000.
The 2019 African Union Continental Teacher Awards was held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 23rd October 2019.
According to the African Union, these teachers were selected for demonstrating the following qualities:
• Engaging in quality teaching which results in high standards of student achievement.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the subject matter, while keeping up with recent developments.
• Encouraging desirable behaviour among students through positive feedback and other methods.
• Managing classes to enhance the quality of learning processes, while ensuring accommodation of students with varied learning needs and abilities.
• Engaging in activities and networks that enhance the social and cultural value of learning.
• Helping students to achieve their long term career goals by organizing engagement with relevant agencies and information.
• Demonstrating multi-valency in facilitating the acquisition of knowledge and skills, as well as values for peacebuilding and responsible citizenship.
• Positive engagement with fellow teachers encouraging mutual learning.
• Positive reputation from stakeholders and community members.
The winners were also highly commended by students and staff members.
Click on the comment box below and leave us your thoughts. Thank you.