Dr. Kofi Abrefa Busia was the Prime Minister of the 2nd Republic of Ghana. In 1951, he was elected by the Ashanti Confederacy to the Legislative Council. In 1952, he was Leader of Ghana Congress Party, which later merged with the other opposition parties to form the United Party (UP). He died in London on August 28, 1978.
Today in History, on August 28, 1978. Prime Minister of the 2nd Republic Dr. Kofi Abrefa Busia Dies in London from a heart attack.
He was overthrown in 1972 by a military coup led by Colonel Ignatius Acheampong. pic.twitter.com/2dl2pe7rQY
— GHANA FACTS & HISTORY (@GhanaianMuseum) August 28, 2019
Facts About Dr. Abrefa Busia
- He served as a district commissioner from 1942 to 1949
- He became the first African to occupy a Chair at the University College of the Gold Coast Party.
- He was active during the formation of the Progress Party.
- He was a fellow of the St. Anthony’s College Oxford from 1962-1969
- In 1952, he became the leader of the Ghana Congress Party