Yesterday, the country redeemed its image on the international after it successfully rescued the two volunteer Canadian girls that were kidnapped in Kumasi last week.
The girls, 19 and 20, were kidnapped at gunpoint near the Royal Golf Club in Kumasi in the evening of last Tuesday, 4th June, 2019.
However, yesterday the Minister of Information Kojo Oppong Nkrumah announced that a joint security task force that included the National Security, BNI, the police and others led an operation on Tuesday night to rescue the girls.
He also disclosed that 8 men, 5 Ghanaians and the three Nigerians have been arrested as a result of the operation though he didn’t mention what they will be charged with.
Speaking on the possible assistance from Canadian security team that came into the country to assist the investigations into the kidnapping, the Minister said the Ghanaian security team did not receive any help from the Canadian team and their presence in the country was “unnecessary.”
New information coming out after their arrest claims that the kidnappers set up a Twitter account with which they used to get ransom from the families of the kidnapped girls.
Seidu Yakubu Mba, who is said to be a well known Kotoko fan, reportedly set up the account and reached out to the families of the girls to discuss a ransom.
However, the said account was deactivated after they realised that the account could comprise their operation.
All 8 suspects are currently in a holding cell as the security agencies continue to conduct their investigations.