Legendary filmmaker, John Singleton died aged 51 yesterday after he was taken off life support, reports suggest.
He suffered a stroke on 17th April and had been in intensive care till 25th April when it was reported that he was in a coma. His family announced yesterday, 29th April that the Oscar-nominated director had died.
Here are 5 facts you might not know about him:
1. John Singleton was born, John Daniel Singleton on 6th January 1968 in Los Angeles, California.
2. Singleton’s debut film, Boyz N the Hood, (1991) was a big hit and it earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay at 24 years old making him the youngest person ever nominated for Best Director, and the first African-American to be nominated for the award.
3. He cast some big names for his movies. Some of the Hollywood stars he’s worked with include, Ice Cube, Morris Chestnut, Laurence Fishburne, Taraji P. Henson, Tyra Banks, Busta Rhymes, Janet Jackson and Samuel L. Jackson.
4. John Singleton was married once to a Ghanaian actress, Akosua Gyamama Busia. He met Akosua Busia while filming his fourth film Rosewood. The two divorced a year later in 1997. John and Akosua share a daughter (Hadar Singleton) together. John also has four other children, by three different women.
5. He directed one of the Fast and Furious sequels, 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003).