A Timeline Of Events Leading To The Closing Down Of The Winneba And Ajumako Campuses Of The University Of Education Winneba


In the space of one week and some days, the once calm state of the University of Education, Winneba has been turned upside down. For those of you that haven’t really understood what the whole mayhem is about, the following timeline should make you understand how the events unfolded.

On the 8th of March, the Vice Chancellor served two lecturers in the persons of Dr Emmanuel Osei Sarpong and Dr Duku with dismissal letters after a disciplinary committee hearing.

This didn’t go down well with a section of the student body and thus led to the peaceful protest for the reinstatement of the lecturers.

UEW: Students Go On Demonstration For The Reinstatement Of A Lecturer

From the evening of the 11th of March tot he 12th Of March, students from the Physical Education Department went on a protest in a bid to get the Governing Council to overturn their decisions. There was an unconfirmed demonstration that had been connected to the SRC and the Alumni body of the school that even stated the 18th of March as a no lecture day.

UEW: Demo SZN? Students Allegedly Declare Monday 18th March As “Holiday”.

However, with the experience from KNUST, some parents of wards of the school were frantically calling their wards based on reports they had heard from the media about an ongoing demonstration on campus. But things were pretty much very calm on campus and students went on their normal duties with just the affected departments continuing with their peaceful demonstrations to get their lecturers back.

Is UEW Really On Fire? Or Is Everyone Just Blowing Things Out Of Proportion

However, the demonstration took a different turn when students organised a bonfire in preparation for a massive demonstration. There was a call for police reinforcement that led to alleged police brutality. The police reportedly fired rubber bullets into the crowd and threw teargas at them leading to the alleged death of one student. Many were reportedly injured with some passing out.

UEW: The Demonstration Just Took A Different Turn With The Alleged Death Of One Student

On the 14th of March, students were asked to pack up their belongings and leave the school premises before 6 pm until further notice.

UEW: The Winneba And Ajumako Campuses Have Been Closed Down Indefinitely






If you have a story you want to share with Kuulpeeps and the world, please do hit us up on FacebookTwitterInstagram

Leave a Reply