There is chaos in KNUST at the moment.
Students are demonstrating against decisions championed by the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Obiri-Danso.
Many of you only know him as the VC of KNUST, so we decided to put together facts about him that you probably didn’t know:
- His full name is Christian Kwasi Obiri-Danso.
- He was appointed as Vice Chancellor of KNUST in 2016.
- His four-year tenure as a VC will end in 2020.
- He is the 12th KNUST Vice-Chancellor.
- He was the Provost of the KNUST College of Science.
- At the time of his appointment as VC, he was the Chairman of Kumasi Polytechnic Council and the National Nuclear Research Institute.
- He obtained his Bachelors Degree in Biological Science, and an M.Phil in Food Microbiology from the KNUST, before proceeding to Lancaster University in the United Kingdom, to earn a certificate in Modeling Duration Data and PhD in Environmental Microbiology/Environmental Health.
- He was a Teaching Assistant from 1987 to 1989, a lecturer from 1990 to 2000, a Research Assistant at the Institue of Environmental Sciences, Lancaster University from 1996 to 1999, a Senior Lecturer from 2000 to 2007, an Associate Professor from 2007 to 2014 and a Professor from 2014 to present.
- Before his appointment as VC, he was a member of KNUST’s Academic Board, Executive Committee and the Central Disciplinary Committee
- He has also been a member of some influential teams that are aimed at raising funds for various significant research and development organisations such as WHO, DANIDA, MasterCard Foundation of Canada, DRUSSA, World Bank, Urban Food Plus and ADMER.
- He has been an Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of the University of Science and Technology (JUST) and Associate Editor for Journal of the Ghana Science Association.
- He is married to his wife Lucy and has a son called William.
source: Buzz Ghana