In February 1949, an airmail letter came from Rev. Baeta, a missionary who was in Africa, to Prof Trostt, a pastor, and a professor.
The letter stated that the E. P. Church had been planning for many years to establish a secondary school in Ho. It was to be the first school of that level to open in what was then the Trust Territory of British Togoland. Now they had the land for the school and a grant from the British government to build the school.
They wanted an ordained minister to head the school, and they wanted the school to have a strong program of science studies. The main aim of the letter was to ask Prof Trost to come to Africa to head the school.
Prof Trost wrote back that it was a great challenge, and that he would give it serious consideration.
Back came a letter from Rev. Baeta saying, “The Committee is so glad to hear that you will come. Your house will be ready in June. It looked like Prof Trost didn’t have any other option but to move to Ghana.
When Prof Trost arrived, there was no school building, even the land for the building wasn’t settled since there was a dispute over the land. Prof Trost didn’t even have a place to stay with his family. He was, therefore, given a place at the old Bremen Mission house which had been built in 1865 at Ho-Kpodzi, where he started to get ready to open the school.
By then, students had taken the Common Entrance Examination and many had opted to come to the school. In fact, there were about 500 well qualified for admission, but things were moving slowly and preparations were hampered by lack of funds. Prof Trost then wrote to the then Director of Education who later helped provide funds for the school.
Interviews were later held and Prof Trost selected 35 students and two teachers, Moses Baeta and Samuel Ofori.
Even though the school didn’t have the adequate facilities, it still opened on the 31st of January 1950.
From then to now is filled with more history…