15 People Arrested, Vehicle & Motorbikes Impounded Over Attack On Cops At Lapaz

Ghana Police
A police armoured tank barricades the main road leading to the headquaters of the Ghanaian Electoral Commission before the commission announced the final results of the presidential and parliamentary elections in Accra on December 10, 2008. The country's security forces said they were stepping up security as part of its post-election plan to keep law and order -- mounting check points along main streets in the capital and increase joint police and military patrols, said police spokesman Kwesi Ofori. AFP PHOTO PIUS UTOMI EKPEI

Fifteen people suspected to have been variously involved in the shooting incident at Lapaz that claimed the life of a policeman and caused injury to another have been arrested by the police.

The suspects include a 27-year-old female, Charity Otuboa, a trader; six Nigerians and eight Ghanaians.

The names of the suspects are; Ken Ikponnwosa, 23; Faith Ogieriakhi, 35; Fem Erhuumwunse, 20; Michael Ogbegia, 20; Sampson Aja, 27; Emmanuel Aimiu, 31, and Kwasi Nyarko, 33. The others are Raphael Nii Lartey Coffie, 37; Asare Frederick, 35; Mark Enchil, 31; Kwadwo Afari, 32, and Kwabena Gyasi, 20.

See Also: The Police Man Who Was Shot Dead At Lapaz Reportedly Begged For His Life

The rest are Abudu Mohammed and Salusi Zibu, whose ages are yet to be established.

Operation

Briefing the Daily Graphic on the arrest of the suspects yesterday, the Accra Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Osabarima Oware Asare Pinkro III, said a combined team of detectives from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Headquarters and the Accra Regional Command picked up the suspects from different locations in Accra.

See Also: The IGP Has Placed ₵10,000 Bounty On The Armed Men Who Shot Two Police Men At Lapaz

“The suspects were arrested at different locations in Accra, including Ablekuma, Olebu and Kasoa after the police had picked up intelligence and tip-offs.

“The unregistered Hyundai Elantra car that was snatched by the robbers at the scene of the incident was abandoned at Olebu and is currently with the police. Other exhibits that were retrieved from the suspects include empty shells and an unregistered Royal motorbike,” he said.

The shooters

Asked if the 15 suspects who had been arrested included the two who had carried out the shooting at the robbery scene, he said the police were still doing due diligence to be sure of the role each of the suspects played in the robbery.

“The fact is that some arrests have been made and we are still carrying out detailed investigations into the issue. I believe that the suspected gunmen are part of the arrested people,” he said.

 

Source: Graphic Online

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here