The Starks of Winterfell have been obsessed with winter forever; “Winter is Coming” is practically a greeting. Now, it appears their prediction is coming true. It’s been about a year since the Northmen left us with vague promises of a coming winter. I’m excited that Game of Thrones is coming back and with it, the long-awaited winter. What is it going to be like? Will there even be snow? Will there be blood? Will there be tears? With all the hype it’s gotten, this winter better be all we hope and dream and more. For us in Ghana, it will be showing on DSTV but if you don’t have DSTV, well GOT was one of the most pirated shows last year. However, keep in mind that PIRACY IS WRONG.
If you’re a fan, then you already know enough about the show so you might agree with following; if you’re new to these parts, then here a few things to note:
- Have no allegiances to any character; no one is safe. You know this is real when Sean Bean(Ned Stark) loses his head in season one! I had barely had enough time to love his stoic nature and obsession with his honour before getting acquainted with the anatomy of his tar-coated head on a stick on the gate at Kings Landing.
- If you must have allegiances, have them silently. George RR Martin and HBO, they can hear you wherever you are and the moment you admit to liking a character, they kill them off. I jokingly tried it with Joffrey and they slipped poison in his wine. I had no complaints but it made me wary of admitting how I feel about Tyrion. Ps. I Love Cersei…
- People cannot be trusted. This is a good life lesson as well as good GOT fan etiquette. Almost everyone is plotting, or is intending to start plotting, to stab someone in the back eventually. My advice is to try to keep the trust to a low and don’t be surprised when the people you thought were teammates turn on each other. Petyr Baelish and Ned Stark, Lord Varys and Cersei, Theon Greyjoy and Rob Stark.
Before the new season starts, here is a quick recap of parts of the past seasons that are worth remembering:
- Arya Stark is someone again. She has gone from a blind girl with no name to Arya Stark of Winterfell who is going home. She makes a pit-stop to feed Walder Frey bits of his children in a pie before she kills him too.
- Jon Snow resurrects from the dead. He knows somethings now and his watch has ended; he is the new king in the North (according to some of the same men who crowned Rob and then abandoned him over a small beheading. tsk)
- Cersei Lannister is a childless widow, the queen of the 7 kingdoms, and a woman out to fight for the iron throne. I can’t tell if she still loves Jamie or not right now, that relationship is a little toxic.
- Daenerys Targaryen has three huge dragons, ships and men on her side. She’s likely headed for Cersei now.
- Sansa is slowly shedding her ‘little song bird’ persona. She rallied an army to fight Ramsay Bolton in the battle of the bastards then watched his dogs shred him to bits soon after. I quite like this new badass Sansa (Stark/Lannister?)
- Bran still can’t walk. He can fly as the three-eyed raven though and he knows the true story about Jon’s birth. Let’s hope he manages to tell everyone soon.
- Winter is definitely here!
These are my predictions for the season. If they seem unreal, chances are they will probably happen:
- Brienne and Jamie admit undying love for each other and have a fling before Cersei sends for Brienne to be killed.
- Daenerys’ babies roast and pick Cersei’s bones clean right outside the Red Keep.
- At the end of the final season, everyone dies in a huge dramatic battle that includes the dragons. There will be a post credit scene where a white walker talks about the importance of minding your own business in life.
Happy new season! Remember to keep warm.
Written By: Tweneboah