Tomorrow, (Thursday) students of the University of Ghana (UG) will elect a President who lead the affairs of the Students Representative Council (SRC) for the next academic year.
After a grueling election last week, tomorrow’s runoff election will decide the fate of Daniel Awuah Otting and Sylvester Kwashie and their future relationship with the (UG-SRC).
Otting had the most votes in last week’s election polling 47.48 per cent of the vote while Kwashie polled 41.727 per cent.
Come tomorrow, while the students of the University of Ghana choose between the two Presidential aspirants, they will inadvertently be choosing between two different campaign promises.
Below are some of the promises Daniel Awuah Otting is championing.
- Advocate for student representation on the Academic Board as a key decision -making body of the University.
- Advocate advocate review of the final GPA ratio distribution to be made flexible such that the best academic years, regardless of the level, gets the highest multiplier effect.
- Introduce a quota system whereby every student gets access to an unlimited bandwidth to be used for a period of a month. This is to help make WiFi usage more convenient, efficient and better.
- Advocate for free usage of Sports facilities such as gym(s), pool etc by students.
- Advocate for all academic and residential buildings to be progressively made disability-friendly. This policy is fully backed by the Persons with Disability Act, 2006 Act 715.
- Create speed dial for the school clinic to assist students address emergency health concerns rapidly
- Set up a Constitutional Review Committee within our first 50 days in office to make room for amendment of anachronistic and obsolete legislations.
Meanwhile, Sylvester Kwashie is also promising to;
- Setup First aid kit for every hall
- Appoint health reps for every hall
- Purchase SRC tents and chairs
- Hold SRC town hall meetings
- Implement a 1 student, 1 exercise book policy
- A 50 per cent subsidy for shuttle during exams
- Purchase jerseys for various sports disciplines
- Construction of an Astro turf