Like everywhere else in the world, there are good and bad things about Africa. Let’s focus on the good (and show how African optimism is). There’s a lot even Africans don’t know about their own continent. Whether African or not, here’s a couple of things you probably didn’t know about Africa.
1. The official title of Idi Amin
The Ugandan dictator’s Official Title was “His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular”.
2. Equatorial Guinea Is The Only Spanish Speaking Country In Africa
3. Ethiopia Is The Only African Country With It’s Own Alphabet
Ge’ez also known as Ethiopic is an alphabet in Ethiopia used to write a lot languages including the national language Amharic.
4. Morocco Is The Most Visited African Country
Source: United Nations Tourism Organization
5. The Richest Black Man In The World Is Nigerian And His Name Is Aliko Dangote
6. Samuel Eto’o Is The Second Highest Paid Footballer Of All Time
Ranked only behind Cristiano Ronaldo by Forbes, Eto’o made £320,000 a week while he played in Russia for Anzhi Makhachkala.
7. A Person From Botswana Is Called A Motswana, The Plural Is Batswana
8. A Person From Lesotho Is Called A Mosotho
9. Ghana Has Won More Football Cups Than England
The Black Stars of Ghana have won four African Cups, six West African Nations Cups and no World Cups while the Three Lions of England have won one World Cup and no Euros.
10. Zimbabwe’s President Robert Gabriel Mugabe Is The World’s Most Educated President
Robert Gabriel Mugabe has seven degrees of which two are Masters.
11. Didier Drogba Is Africa’s Top Scorer In The Champions League
He holds the record with 39 goals. 5 for Marseille and 34 for Chelsea.
12. Johannesburg, South Africa Is The Most Visited City In Africa
Source: United Nations Tourist Organisation
13. President Jacob Zuma Was A Referee In Prison
In 1963, Jacob Zuma was convicted for a conspiracy to overthrow the apartheid government and was sentenced to 10 years on Robben Island with the likes of Nelson Mandela. There he became a referee for prisoner association games.
14. President Robert Mugabe Is The World’s Oldest Head Of State
The 92 year old president was born on February 21, 1924.
15. The Seychellois Are The Most Educated Africans
Seychelles has an adult literacy rate of 92% and a youth literacy rate of 99% .
16. Somalia Got It’s First ATM On October 7, 2014
17. South Africa Has The Most Grammy Award Winners In Africa
South Africans to win Grammy’s are; Wouter Kellerman with 1 Grammy, Soweto Gospel Choir with 2 Grammys and Ladysmith Black Mambazo with 4 Grammys.
18. Ethiopia Has The Most Airports In Africa
There are a total of 61 airports in Ethiopia.
19. Ethiopia’s Economy Is Growing Faster Than China’s
According to TradingEconomics.com Ethiopia’s GDP is rising at a rate of 9.6% while China’s growing at rate of 6.7%.
Do you know what else is great about Africa? Guinness’ new addition; the Guinness Africa Special, made by Africans for Africans, is a refreshing blend of natural African herbs like lemongrass, ginger, vanilla, cola nut and chilli extracts. Guinness Africa Special, made by us for us.