For a while, the conversation seemed to have died out but yesterday, Robert Jackson, US Ambassador to Ghana spoke to the media where he said that he personally met with stakeholders including Civil Society, Political Leaders (Including Nana Addo), Catholic Bishop conference, Archbishop Nicholas Duncan Williams and other top leadership over the GITMO two who arrived in Ghana in January.
However, Akufo-Addo has reiterated his position in a statement that at no point during the transaction between the two governments was he consulted. He went on that on January 5, 2016, the Deputy Chief of Mission/Chargé d’Affaires of the US Embassy in Ghana, then acting as Chief of Mission, Melinda Tabler-Stone, called on him at his Nima residence to inform him, with the consent of the Minister for Foreign Affairs, about the impending arrival into the country of two ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees, Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih Al Dhuby, as a result of discussions between the US and Ghana governments.
The day after this visit, on January 6, it was announced that these Guantanamo detainees had been admitted into Ghana upon the authority of the President of Ghana. It would appear that at the time Melinda Tabler-Stone spoke to Nana Akufo-Addo, the two Gitmo-2 detainees were either on their way to Ghana or had arrived in the country, the statement said.
The US government is yet to respond to the facts laid out by Nana Addo but the issue has already created talk in town as to who is telling the truth in this matter. Kuulpeeps will keep you updated as and when more come.