A third year student of Achimota Senior High School appeared before an Accra District Court for allegedly shooting a female colleague.
Here is what we know about the story so far:
- On January 4, 2017, at about 2:00pm the deceased, Lily Donkor who lived at Cantonments visited the accused person at Community 8 in Tema.
- The accused went to his father’s room and picked up his father’s single barrel gun and shot the victim in the abdomen.
- A neighbor called Madam Gifty Billy, heard the gun shot and went to the scene only to see the victim lying in a pool of blood.
- Gifty rushed the victim to the Port Clinic in Tema but she was moved to the 37 Military Hospital where she died on admission.
- The accused told the police that he intended to shoot into the air however the gravity of the gun change course and hit the deceased.
- It was reported by GH One that 10 bullets were found in the abdomen of the deceased.
- Charged with murder, the court preserve the accused person’s plea to reappear on January 24th in a court presided over by Mrs Dora Gloria Araba Eshun.
- Chief Inspector Simon Apiosornu, the prosecutor had earlier prayed the court to remand the accused person in a remand home to enable the police complete their investigations.
- But the accused was released to his parents custody because the prosecutor said without a proper warrant the accused would not be accepted in the remand home.
- The family of Lily Donkor have expressed fears that the accused would tamper with evidence after he was released to his parents’ home where the shooting occurred.
- The accused is currently at home waiting the next trial date on January 24.