The Vice Chancellor of the University of Ghana Professor Ernest Aryeetey, has been appointed to the governing council of the United Nations University by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and Irina Bokova, Director General of the UN Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
Professor Aryeetey was one of 12 appointed in accordance with Article IV of the United Nations University Charter, to replace the retiring 2010 – 2016 cohort of UN University Council members.
The United Nations said the appointees will take office on May 3, 2016, and will serve for terms of either three or six years.
Prof. Aryeetey, like the other members of the UNU Council, will serve in his individual capacity on the Council.
According to the UN, the main functions of the UN University Council are to formulate the principles and policies of the university, govern its operations, and consider and approve its biennial budget and work programme.
“Members to the UN University Council are selected with the aim of achieving a geographic and gender balance, with due regard for major academic, scientific, educational and cultural trends, as well as each member’s fields of expertise,” the world organization said.
The twelve new appointees are:
- Prof. Ernest Aryeetey (Ghana), Vice-Chancellor, University of Ghana
- Prof. Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz (Brazil), Scientific Director, São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), and Professor, Gleb Wataghin Physics Institute, State University of Campinas
- Prof. Simon Chesterman (Australia), Dean, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
- Amb. Elizabeth Cousens (USA), Deputy Chief Executive Officer, United Nations Foundation
- Ms. Isabel Guerrero Pulgar (Chile), Director, IMAGO Global Grassroots, and lecturer at Harvard and MIT
- Mag. Dr. h.c. Angela Kane (Germany), Senior Fellow, Vienna Centre for Non-Proliferation and Disarmament, and Professor, SciencesPo, Paris
- Dr. Segenet Kelemu (Ethiopia), Director General and CEO, International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology
- Dr. Bassma Kodmani (Syria), Executive Director, Arab Reform Initiative
- Dr. Radha Kumar (India), Director General, Delhi Policy Group
- Prof. Irena Lipowicz (Poland), Professor, Cardinal Stefan Wyszyñski University (Warsaw)
- Prof. Tsuneo Nishida (Japan), Director, Institute for Peace Science, Hiroshima University, and Director, Toho Zinc Co., Ltd.
- Prof. Lan Xue (China), Dean, School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, and Director, China Institute for S&T Policy